[thelist] Analog User Session Tracking

Beau Hartshorne beau at pair.com
Fri Jun 22 17:52:58 CDT 2001

Hi,

Is it possible to have analog estimate the number of unique visitors that
have browsed your site? The analog docs basically say that user session
measurement is useless and inaccurate.

User sessions are estimated by grouping access from a unique IP address
within a 30 min time period. As I understand it, if you visit a site and
sit at one page for 31 mins, then access another page it counts as two user
sessions. If you sit there for three hours and keep on accessing the pages
at least every half hour, it counts as one user session.

I think that user session information might be useful (even if the data is
not perfect), at least more useful than "your site got 2165 requests for
pages and images and whatever else yesterday".

If there is no way to squeeze this information out of Analog, what's the
best alternative?

Thanks,

Beau