[thelist] Mac Users: Problems viewing RTF

Sabrina Dent, Apperception sabrina.dent at appercept.co.uk
Sat Jun 23 15:54:15 CDT 2001

Salutations, the List...

I've created a site where people can download stories and articles stored on
the server as RTF files; several kind and sage minds who comprise the List
told me that this would work great for Mac users and RTF was wonderfully
portable.

All is (mostly) well and I'm a happy bunny, except I'm having (drumroll) Mac
problems.

Small problem: the files are not opening in the browser; they're being
downloaded to some destination on the visitor's HD.  Is there a standard
path I could point Mac users to in order to find their downloads?

Big problem: When a Mac user sends me RTF file, all the " and ' marks are
replaced with strange ASCII characters. I have to do a find & replace and
re-upload the file.  OK, I can live with that, but when a Mac visitor reads
the file, all of the ' (apostrophe) marks are reportedly missing.

This isn't really as cross-platform compatible as I was hoping it would be
:(
Can anyone offer some wisdom re. the above? I apologise profusely, but I'm
just Mac illiterate.

--Bri

<tip>
Replace the standard email link with this bit of javascript, edited of
course with your email address . . .
<script language=javascript>
document.write('<a href="mailto'+':'+'info'+'@'+'mywebsite'+'.'+'com'+'">');
document.write('info'+'@'+'mywebsite'+'.'+'com</a>');
</script>
This way users of your website see the email address as usual, but no "bot"
scanning your web-page text is going to understand it or farm it for spam.
</tip>