[thelist] Mac Users: Problems viewing RTF

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Mon Jun 25 08:46:54 CDT 2001

Sabrina Dent, Apperception wrote on 24/6/01 11:08 pm

>> Something to check - are they simple ' and " marks or are they curly
>> quotes? Check in both directions between Mac & Win.
>
>Well, I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but the RTF file's font is
>Verdana, so they look like regular non-serif  quote marks and apostrophes to
>me.
>
>A user reports that "Come on, Jeannie, its for my birthday!" reads as:
>
> ìCome on, Jeannie, its for my birthday.î

Yup. Curly quotes alright.

Here's the difference:
http://members.evolt.org/martin/quotes.gif

Windows and MacOS handle them differently (and I'm not sure
RTF handles them at *all* as it's ASCII which doesn't support
curly quotes), so you'll get mistranslation between platforms.

The fun bit is that Word will by default add them. Don't you just
love that kind of 'help'?

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland