[thelist] More Smart Tags

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Mon Jun 25 10:01:11 CDT 2001

>  > It seems to me (as well as others more versed in law than anyone on
>>  this list is likely to be) that this smart tag idea (as we understand
>>  it) is a blatant abuse of monopoly power.
>
>i completely disagree with that... how is that abuse of monopoly?

It's illegal in the US to use dominance in one market to increase
your market position in another ... looks like dominoes to me: OS >
Browser > Web sites > [...] > a license to breathe air

This isn't from a impartial source but is a further answer to your question:

http://www.procompetition.org/headlines/062101.html

There was a great article I read from some SW US newspaper ... but
can't find it again - this is similar though:
http://www.zdnet.com/enterprise/stories/main/0,10228,2778871,00.html

>have you seen all the other browsers out there that users can get?
>free ones?  that easily do what IE can do?

Uh, I donno ... I guess I'd point you to a good synopsis of Justice
Dept vs. Microsoft.

I'm expecting Win 2K CD to arrive today ... installing a dual boot
with Red Hat and if I can at all help it that Win 2K disk will be the
_LAST_ MS purchase I have anything to do with - the fact that the
idea of Smart Tags even crossed their minds was the thing that pushed
me to the believe that I should learn Linux.
--

- Erik Mattheis

Wants to see a flying saucer.

(612) 827 3963