Saving Pictures (was Re: [thelist] More Smart Tags)

Bruce Heerssen bheerssen at visualbridge.tv
Mon Jun 25 17:46:45 CDT 2001

John Meyer wrote:

>My personal spin on this is that, personally, I don't mind if people take the
>art from my web site and use it on their own sites, or e-mail it, or whatever.
>If that was my living, more than not I'd take much more precautions to protect
>it.

Like not post it on the web in the first place. Once a person has viewed
a picture in a browser, he has it on his hard drive and can do anything
at all with it. And if the guy's good, nothing you do will stop him.

So, it's just plain pointless to worry about casual, unapprove usage of
your pictures if you're willing to post them on the web in the first
place. What you need to watch out for is people using your hard work
(the pictures) for their own gain and without your permission. Like
putting the images on their own site and claiming the work as their own.

I don't feel that emailing a favorite picture, that you found on the web
or anywhere else, to your girlfriend, family, or friends is a big deal
at all. In fact, I would hope that the artist would be rather flattered.

-Bruce