[thelist] onMouseOver to trigger flash movie

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Wed Jun 27 18:52:56 CDT 2001

At 10:32 AM 6/26/1, Kristina Floyd wrote:
> i would really really appreciate a link to a tutorial for
> this or any other help at all

Sorry, I'm not sure what the question is... I read the various paragraphs
of the description a few times, and if I had to guess I might wonder if
you're asking "How can I have SWFs communicate across frames?", and if so
then the answer would be "With care, in some-but-not-all-browsers", but I'm
not sure if that's the question though, sorry.

(It's generally more predictable to do things in Flash than to ask the
various browsers to do things-beyond-the-simple... you could make a SWF
with four discrete areas and load other SWFs in on demand, that's one way
similar descriptions are handled.)

In case it's actually closer to the title, as in "How can I use JavaScript
to trigger rollovers atop a SWF file?" then browsers fire off JavaScript
mouse events to things the browser controls, like links and sometimes
images. The browsers assume that plugin objects can handle mouse events
themselves, and so don't trigger "onMouseOver" or similar events on
OBJECT/EMBED tags.

jd