[thelist] javascript:// :is it necessary?

The Optimizer chrism at puffofsmoke.net
Thu Jun 28 11:23:45 CDT 2001

Brian

> "onmouseover" is an event that is trigger by the the mouse moving over the
> 'object'.  The object is defined by the browser.  JS can be run
> on, or as a
> rtesult of, the triggering event.  The mouseover is not JS.  The action
> taken on the mouseover, (in this case) is JS.  I can just as easily write
> ASP/VBScript to fire off on the event trigger, (and have on many
> occasions).

Um, there may be a degree of confusion here. onmouseover is a javascript
event handler. You can't do anything with it in ASP, because ASP is an ISAPI
filter, and thus in this context VBScript is processed on the server. The
onmouseover event handler is purely client-side, and is handled by the
browser's implementation of the javascript engine. I don't know whether or
not you could write a client-side VBScript rollover effect as it's never
been a meaningful excercise for me, but if you can, then VBScript also has
an onmouseover event handler.

> Clarify...  I do know that classes and jars fit into the Java
> catergory, not
> JS.  I was trying to be clear that I did not have any java OR javascript
> actions taking place on the mouse over event.

Consider the matter clarified <grin>.

Regards

Chris Marsh