[thelist] javascript:// :is it necessary?

The Optimizer chrism at puffofsmoke.net
Thu Jun 28 12:41:25 CDT 2001

> I don't think that is right, not in the IE browser anyways.  The
> object, ie
> the image in this case, is defined by the browser.  Maybe

Correct, the DOM. However, given the amount of previous discussion this is
becoming a semantic rather than technical point of contention.

> Netscrape does it
> differently.  I can turn off js and still utilize the events attached to
> those objects, (DHTML in MS's rule book), to launch ASP code.

No you can't. The DOM is specific to the _client_. ASP code is executed on
the _server_. If the object is defined by the client for client-side
scriptability, how can this have anything to do with the server? Besides
which, AFAIK MSDHTML is merely MS-centric version of what is in essence a
marketing term for the interaction between HTML, CSS and a scripting
language--most popularly javascript. It's all client side, and needs _a_
scripting language enabled in order to work.

> You are
> suggesting that MS built the IE browser on top of Sun's event
> handler.  Why

Not that they built the entire browser on top of the event handler, but they
certainly introduced support for it. IE3 didn't support the onmouseover
event while at the same time Netscape 3(?) did. IE4 _did_ support the
onmouseover event.

> would MS ditch their own object model with it's own event handler in favor
> of Sun's for the browser?  It wouldn't make sense to write an

Standardisation (or at least the illusion)?

> object modeler
> and not write the hooks to go with it, but to rely on someone elses hooks.
> That would potentially cripple your ablility to improve the
> product without
> Sun's permission.
> I don't see MS backing themselves into that corner.
> We should all know how Bill got started, and it wasn't by letting IBM walk
> all over him.  Old Digital Research people might have a word or two to say
> about MS tweaking code and republishing as their own.

Interesting debate, but I fear I'm about done on the subject ;)

Regards

Chris Marsh