[thelist] Certification...[OT] mess#13 [sandy

sales at iibiz.com sales at iibiz.com
Fri Jun 29 13:58:44 CDT 2001

> If you were trainning yourself to become a developer today; Your saying
that
> you wouldn't give any credibility to these certifications?

Kevin,

That's not quite what I meant.  I give them credibility, I just wouldn't
hire someone solely because they had "x" certification.  Self-taught is
okay, too!  Like someone mentioned earlier, NOTHING means more than
experience and proof of what you can do.  I can't specifically say there's
anything I can do now, that I couldn't do before I took the classes - it
just broadened and deepened my understanding of how some things work and
interact.

For example, I learned lots of stuff I didn't know in my CIW classes, but
there wasn't much time spent on actual DESIGN!  Hello!  Color combinations,
effective navigation, good graphics and a million other things are critical
to being a good web designer.  It was definitely a more technically sided
class.

There are people out there who can write code and scripts to turn the world
upside down, but have no design ability - and then there's people out there
that have great design sense, but couldn't write code if their life depended
on it, and there's people somewhere in the middle.

Personally, I'm more on the design side of the coin, but I can hack "free"
code to make it do what I want, and if I can't (or there isn't anything out
there to do what I want it to do), I pay one of those wonderful coders to do
it for me!  I've been beginning to learn PHP (choose that because it's free
and cross-platform), but I'm too busy with my design work to dedicate the
appropriate time to make it truly functional for my clients.

It's tough to get up to speed on everything (and STAYING on top) - design,
coding, technology - all at once!  Form alliances with people you meet that
are strong on the elements you're not.  And you don't have to give away the
store.  My guys do what I want within about 2 hours for minimal cost and
never even ask to get credit on the site.  I only have to use them once in a
while - but love them!!!!

Keep plugging along and good luck!

Sandy