[thelist] IE 6pr2 and Suddenly Centered Content?

Craig Saila crsaila at yahoo.ca
Tue Jul 3 10:43:22 CDT 2001

>   a) all content on my own disobey.com/amphetadesk is centered.

Go to:
http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2001/07/03/cheney/index.html
and the same thing happens.

Another list I'm on had a message saying it was related to the fact that

So, if the embedded <table>s <td>s don't have an alignment specified (i.e.,
code relies on the old align="left" default), they will inherit the parent

This will be centered.

This fix:
This will not be centered, but aligned left.

While it breaks the general conventions of a lot of Web pages out there this
bug is actually a specification of HTML 4.01 as far as I can tell:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.3.2.1
and is, in a lot of ways like the "problems" encountered when Mozilla first
came out.

I presume setting IE6 in quirks mode would render the content the old way.

Cheers,

Craig Saila