[thelist] Site Root & Document Root

Marcus J. Coles mar at asitis.co.uk
Tue Jul 3 13:55:03 CDT 2001

I have a seemingly simple problem but so far I've tried dreamweaver golive &
fusionMX all to no avail... All Im looking for is a site management tool
that allows me to have different Site root and Document roots ...easily

ie my usual local directory structure is ...

/sites/somesite.com/site
and
/sites/somesite.com/source

if I log onto(ftp) my usual server (cobalt unix raq)

the structure is
/site101/logs
/site101/users
/site101/web  <<< this being the document root

all I want to be able to do is download the entirety of the servers content
in one click
ie /site101/*
into /site/somesite.com/site/ on my local drive so that I have a back up of
all and still be able to view pages locally in /site/somesite.com/site/web
as they appear on the server.
ie without root relative links being broken. Whilst still being able to view
and easily administer contents in the lower level directory
/sites/somesite.com/site

the reason being that I store web based logins/details/conf files in the
site root folder so that it is not web browsable

Does this make any sense to anyone, I dont think this kind of config is
unusual or too much to ask...

Thanks

Marcus