[thelist] Site Root & Document Root

Marcus J. Coles mar at asitis.co.uk
Tue Jul 3 17:11:04 CDT 2001

> Why can't you download "web/" skipping the site/101/ level?
> If you are FTPing into your RaQ and are at the site101 level you are
> logging in as the serverAdmin since by design the siteAdmin
> cannot get to the site101 level. If you are also uploading as the

Sorry I didnt word it very well ... i am skipping /site101/ and running as
siteAdmin
But I want a siteManagement package that will download all in that directory
whilst letting me set document root as
./web/ to allow includes to work locally ... goLive is close but no cigar
;-(

essentially dreamweaver could do it with one simple bit of extra config but
it aint there ;-(

> If you store logins etc outside the /web/ folder I would think you
> may want to download them too so you have them available for
> offline processing.

yep

> connection email me off list and I can point you to an SSH server
> and slick SSH FTP client for your RaQ.

not my server although I can be serverAdmin ... but too much hassle its not
ccNos and all is at users risk ...its not going to compromise the server

> On the otherhand, on a RaQ I never store data outside the /web/
> since it is SO easy to store them even more securely inside the
> domain path. Since CGI runs as the siteAdmin under CGIWrap a
> CGI can read/write any file with 0600 permissions (a CGI can also
> execute with only 0700 permissions). This cannot be done on non-
> CGIWrap machines where CGI runs as nobody and requires 0666
> to read/write a file. With 0600 no one can read the file except the
> siteAdmin and the site's CGI, no one not even the serverAdmin. If
> you use 0666 to store files outside the domain path on a RaQ
> those files can be accessed by the serverAdmin, not a good thing if
> the serverAdmin is different from the siteAdmin.

Now that is a very handy bit of info ... cheers ... think if I cant find a
package that suits I'll do it like that!

Marcus