[thelist] Value of "Content" websites to attract customers to "Product" web site

Shaun M. Anderson ShaunAnderson at smarttech.com
Wed Jul 4 12:22:13 CDT 2001

Another thing:

My company sells SMART Boards (Touch sensitive whiteboards) and various
other meeting/presentation/teaching tools.  Our main web-site is @
http://www.smarttech.com/ (Crit's welcome on that too, as we just finished
our re-design.) and has all of our product information, customer support
(which I think is inadequate),  contact info, dealer info etc.

We also run http://www.effectivemeetings.com as a separate entity but it
doesn't really push our products. Usually one article per issue is based on
using our products as a tool for meetings.  There also aren't many links
back to http://www.smarttech.com

We also run http://www.smarterkids.org, which is a Grant program for our
products to education users.  We are the main sponsor, but not the only one.

My question is, is there any point in maintaining www.effectivemeetings.com
as a separate entity if we are only looking to get new customers for our
products?

The site on it's own has a decent readership (we send out approx. 5000
emails/issue, and get 30,000 page impressions/month) and we'll continue to
do it regardless of what it does for smarttech.com.  I'm just curious about
the benefits of it.

smarterkids.org is different, because it actually sells our products.

Does anybody else have any opinions on this?  If you were a subscriber,
would you be annoyed by more product references (I know I would personally).

Thanks,
Shaun Anderson