[thelist] Effect of downtime and refreshed content on visitor numbers

Bart Posselt BPOSSELT at dineout.org
Thu Jul 5 08:34:36 CDT 2001

The only numbers I know of are for our own site. Since redesigning (which included regularly updating content in several places), the number of blind (no referrer) sessions per month has gone from 34% to 75% while the number of referred sessions has gone from 58% to 19%. Search engine referrals have stayed relatively the same.

I like to think those numbers represent repeat visitors who've bookmarked our site. Or people are getting more Net savvy and thinking to type in .org for nonprofits instead of automatically ending everything in .com.

No one, especially a company that can afford the services of your organization, Martin ;), should accept an unstable hosting company. Our host has only gone down once, for about one day on the slowest day of the week trafficwise, and we started looking for alternatives. It didn't seem to make a  dent in our traffic.

Bart

**************
Bart Posselt
Web Site Manager
National Restaurant Association
www.restaurant.org

>>> martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com 07/05/01 06:11AM >>>
Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Hi Folks

I'm working on a business case for a site which is looking to redesign
and redevelop.

At present, they have a static site - very, very rarely updated, and it's
all static brand-based stuff - which is somewhat unstable.

I guess we all instinctively make the user connections of
1) I visit the site and it's down sometimes. So it's not a reliable
experience.
2) I visit the site and there's never anything new so I won't come back so
often
3) For both of the above reasons, there's nothing worth pointing my friends
   there, so I won't.

But what I need is some benchmark, ballpark numbers to put in the business
case to say "Industry experience suggests that fixing the technical issues
and refreshing your content regularly will add roughly x% to your repeat
visitors"

And I need to do it by end of today.

Does anyone have figures/pointers to figures on hand to back this up?

Cheers
Martin

The principal place of business of PricewaterhouseCoopers and its associate
partnerships is 1 Embankment Place, London WC2N 6NN where lists of the
partners' names are available for inspection. All partners in the associate
partnerships are authorised to conduct business as agents of, and all
contracts for services to clients are with, PricewaterhouseCoopers. The UK
firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers is authorised by the Institute of Chartered
Accountants in England and Wales to carry on investment business.
PricewaterhouseCoopers is a member of the world-wide
PricewaterhouseCoopers organisation.
computer.