[thelist] RE: Re NS Table woes and liquid layouts

Tony Page zamba at zamba.com
Thu Jul 5 19:55:46 CDT 2001

Hi Rudy,
Sorry not to have got back to you before, had a slight disaster with
template automation and had to remake 85 pages by hand (see tip)!
<snip>
> >But I'd be grateful if you could send me your code
>
> no problem

Thanks a bunch, not only does it work just fine, it has cleared up a
longstanding problem that I had been fiddling with inconclusively using
horrendous kludges.
For those interested, the page Rudy sent is here:
http://www.acmp.com.au/ACMPTestpage2.htm (please ignore links).
The original page is here: http://www.acmp.com.au/ACMPTestpage-1.htm

>i have left the <base> tag in (<base href="http://www.acmp.com.au/">),
which is what you use to resolve all the
> relative urls when testing somebody's page from your own C drive...

A useful tip for some of us
resolve all the
relative urls when testing somebody's page from your own C drive.</tip>

> looks fine at 1024x768 too (didn't bother checking 640x480)
>
> i think i understand the editable areas, please check to make sure i
> preserved them okay

You did

> in general you are going to run into trouble with a technique like <font
> color="#FFCC66">S</font> to shim the "Society of Advertising, Commercial
> and Magazine Photographers" away from the left edge of the window
> -- i used &nbsp; and it seemed to be almost the same, in general you
should use a
> nested table for this type of precision work, same applies to the
> nav items below that which all have a spacer gif in front of them (better,
but still
> a lot more clumsy than a nested table)
>
> by "run into trouble" i mean what happens when the font size is bumped up
> by the user, because then you're fucked, the <br> tags in there won't flow
> properly, etc.

Point taken, terrible quick fixes, I'll adopt tables for the new version

> the breadcrumb trail, of course, will not work for folks with javascript
> turned off (when i was testing, it showed Location: > D| > $evolt >
> ACMPTestpage-1.html -- sweet!!) and you should know that the font was
> illegible in netscape, passable but only just barely in ie
>
> come to think of it, the nav bar items were all at the very edge of
> readability too

This is a worry, I was aware of the NS problem, but thought the navbar was
fine although on the edge, anyone else have opinions on this?

> in internet explorer, the yellow side does not reach all the way to the
> bottom, dunno how to fix that, but at least in netscape 4.75 it looks fine

Interesting, it does for me (IE6b), anyone else have this problem?

> good luck, let me know if there's anything else i can do...
>
> rudy

Yet again, the liquid layout king saves the day...

<tip>When using the auto-update feature of DW templates for multiple pages,
update one page first, and make sure you have a recent backup of the pages
involved. Once initiated, there is no way to simply stop the update process,
and it's easy when working at speed to misassign content to the incorrect
editable area with a single click. Since content varies on each page, this
can necessitate a long editing process to recover.</tip>