[thelist] Embedding Media on Mac IE and then scripting to the player...

Iain Simons iain at suppose.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 09:44:23 CDT 2001

Can I give you folks the breakdown of what I’m trying to do?...

Ok-
I'm working on a cd-rom (html based) for a British theatre company, a
lot of it is media footage which the user needs to be able to browse
through.

So...

I've got 3 frames set up:

1- for the navigation - in which I want the controls for all media we
use to sit (controlling the media in frame 2 & 3)
2- for the main content window - in which I want the video to play.
3- is a hidden frame that holds just sonic content- some of the content
in the main frame (2) is textual or still image based and we want to be
able to choose sound from the show to listen to whilst browsing the
other content- until the point where a user chooses to watch video- when
the content in this frame is killed and the controls in frame 1 then
revert to controlling the frame 2 video content.

Does that make sense?

I've got the whole thing working in pc ie fine- but am having big
problems getting it to work in ie mac.

I'm now trying to get it work in real- and it seems to have a similar
problem to wmp - just less well documented.
Essentially- I just need to find a cross platform media player that can
be embedded but that can be scripted to via the DOM. If this can't be
done- then I think the client is going to have to re-think the project-
or we need to ditch the hidden frame (3) concept- and the controls can
then be embedded underneath the video content.

I really would appreciate any help that you could offer on this as its
starting to drive me a little crazy! :)

I never imagined that platform issues with this would be so great...

Oh well....

Many thanks,

Iain.