[thelist] ColdFusion and PhP

Christine Korza evolt at tipsbyemail.com
Sat Jul 7 17:21:16 CDT 2001

Mia,

Here are my personal opinions on this matter. I develop in both platforms
for different reasons.

My personal favorite is PHP. PHP gives you complete control, down to line
breaks and HTTP headers, of your source code and page. You can easily spout
out HTML to the receiving browser by using an 'echo' command, or by popping
out of PHP, typing plain 'ol HTML', then go back to PHP for more processing.

Cold Fusion, however, tries to be more idiot-proof. It's very useful if you
plan to upgrade or change your database. You specify your database and its
login information in one 'administrative' area for the server, then you can
reference it easily on any page. The nice thing about this is if you change
databases, for example, from Access to Ms SQL, you hardly have to touch your
pages to get it to work! Also, Coldfusion is built on tags, similar to HTML.
You might type a tag and a couple parameters, but on the browser's source
code on the receiving end, it's changed your code into correct HTML. In some
ways, this is a big plus.

Still, I prefer PHP. I like having line-by-line control of everything the
receiving browser will see and do. It's a little more difficult, because you
have to learn syntax for various functions, while with ColdFusion, the
syntax is generally a string of tags just like HTML.

Should I even mention the cost differences? PHP is FREE, open source. While
I'm not sure the cost of Coldfusion, the cost is in the $1000's... easily
sticking ColdFusion out of the reach of the casual webmaster.

At any rate, I hope this helps. This is just my personal opinion, so feel
free to contradict me. :)

-Christine Korza
crimsonNOSPAM at protonic.com
Administrator, Developer: