[thelist] Perl/Database question

Poojie poojie at dccnet.com
Mon Jul 9 00:00:37 CDT 2001

quote: ------------------------------------
I know that I can connect to a Mysql database by adding a special
mod file
to the perl libraries. (Something like that.).  Is it possible to
connect
to an Oracle database using Perl?

I have a small job that I need to do in CF, but since CF doesn't do
functions, I think it might be easier to do it in perl.  Any
thoughts?
end quote: --------------------------------

Cold Fusion _can_ do it, but I would recommend Perl (actually I
would recommend using the one you are most comfortable with, but
Perl has a number of advantages). Using the muchly popular DBI
module (Database independant interface) -- as its name suggests,
you can use (virtually) the same code for a litany of database
types. Also, Perl is much more powerful which could make or break a
project (depending on what it is). In order to access Oracle in
Perl you need to install DBI as well as the DBD::Oracle module. In
the future, if you want to change dbms, all you need to do is
install another DBD module (DBD::mysql for example) as well as
change any SQL that is specific to a particular dbms.

More on DBI: http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=DBI
More on DBD: http://search.cpan.org/search?dist=DBD-Oracle

Daryl