[thelist] Putting keyword meta tags in Include files

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Mon Jul 9 05:46:49 CDT 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Matt

I'm not sure that's what Sharon was asking - what I heard was
the thought that the SE spiders would index the files which
get included into the main page as separate files, not when
they're included into the main pages.

Sharon? Did I hear right?

If so, then I don't know if it would be particularly successful as
the engines will also look for the page's *real* content, and as
the includes don't have any, won't rank them particularly highly.

Also, I'm not sure if a link from an SE directly to your includes
would add a lot of value...

*however*, as a method of managing common content like
some of the meta tags across your whole site, then includes
make a lot of sense.

Cheers
Martin

<tip class="meta data"
Want a standard methodology for describing information about
content?
http://www.dublincore.org/
has it for you.
Works for HTML and RDF/XML which is nice.
A formal description for its use in HTML is at
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2731.txt
</tip>

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org

Sent by:  thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org