[thelist] Responsibilities of a Webmaster

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 9 07:15:12 CDT 2001

> From: "sfmalo" <sfmalo at msn.com>
>
> Can anyone point me to a source that spells out (in detail) exactly
> what the responsibilities of a webmaster are to a client?

heh, no.  if you're the vendor, you should do anything for them that
they want, even if you're not the best qualified... the caveats being
that you tell the client and make them aware when there are better
options or when it will be out of scope, etc., but ultimately, leave
the decision up to them... and it's probably going to be different for
every client, too...

> I have some issues simmering inside me as to what I am being asked to
> do. Just want to check out first if I'm being asked to do things that
> a client should be doing. One example: a client wants a counter put on
> their web site. Am I responsible for doing all the legwork AND as is
> the case here, signing them up for the counter? Or, should they sign
> themselves up? Has to do with such services as Ytrack, theCounter,
> etc.

for this example, i'd say that this is something you should be doing
anyway... and as the client, i'd expect you to do it... granted, any
services that require payment should be billed directly to the client,
but other than walking them through a sign-up step, the rest is
something you should be doing anyway...

after all, they're clients, they'll pay for your time... now, if you don't
want to do it because you didn't budget for it and the client won't
pay, that may be your fault for not outlining it in the scope or
otherwise declaring it as out of scope work...