[thelist] Putting keyword meta tags in Include files

sfmalo sfmalo at msn.com
Mon Jul 9 07:16:03 CDT 2001

Martin wrote:
> Matt
>
> I'm not sure that's what Sharon was asking - what I heard was
> the thought that the SE spiders would index the files which
> get included into the main page as separate files, not when
> they're included into the main pages.
>
> Sharon? Did I hear right?

Martin -

I was primarily concerned with using Includes for the keyword meta tags and
whether the search engines would indeed spider those includes.

Notice that Matt doesn't use Includes for keywords and phrases although he
does for other meta tags (like Author, etc.). But he does that because they
may change from page to page, if I understand him correctly. However, still
leaves me wondering if I'm better off not doing Includes for
keywords/phrases until we definitely know that they're definitely being
indexed as key words.

Interesting to note that menu item Includes are indexed.

Sharon

> Sharon F. Malone wrote:
> >I recently read a marketing article where this was suggested as a viable
> >alternative ... that search engines spider meta tag Includes. So, they're
> >saying that your keywords would be found just as effectively as if you
had
> >listed them individually on each of your pages (the only way I've ever
> >seen).
>
> Yes, it works for me. My .shtml files pull in the meta tags from a
separate
> include file. I assume these meta tags are getting read by the search
bots,
> because the side menu on every page of my site (pleonasm.com) is pulled in
> via SSI too, and that menu content is getting indexed at Google and other
> search engines.
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com