[thelist] Re: thelist digest, Vol 1 #1470 - 31 msgs

Eveline Vanhemel eveline_vanhemel at pi.be
Mon Jul 9 07:46:31 CDT 2001

Thank you guys, all the suggestions were very valuable to me. This is the
digest I made for myself:

1) Since I found out now, that I can go either way in terms of adaptability
to the two server types, I decided that I would take the price tag into
account.
2) In Belgium you pay the same price for hosting at an ISP for an ASP or a
CF driven site (about $250 a year without the database, the same amount for
the database). Only PHP is not mentioned in their specifications. So I need
to find out immediately what it is going to cost. But since it is not
mentioned, I make the presumption it is probably free...
3) So to sum it up: for an ASP or CF driven site, we pay $500 a year (which
we already do for the moment) and for PHP it will probably be $250. So I
think I won't have much trouble convincing my employer to go for PHP...;-)
4) There was also the remark that if you know ASP already, it is not so hard
to change to PHP.

All this taken into consideration, I think PHP will be my best bet... IF
another question of mine is answered positively: at the moment I use a
simple Access database, is it possible to migrate to MySQL from an Access
database?

TIA

Eveline
eveline_vanhemel at pi.be

> Message: 15
> From: "Eveline Vanhemel" <eveline_vanhemel at pi.be>
> Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 22:16:05 +0200
> charset="iso-8859-1"
> Subject: [thelist] Re: ColdFusion and PhP
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question sidely related to this discussion. At the moment I am
> finalizing a site with db connection, running on a NT Server and using
ASP.