[thelist] forms

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Mon Jul 9 13:07:24 CDT 2001

| What is the best way in JavaScript to get highlighted options
| from one form
| or one select box and transmit them, those highlighted
| choices, to another
| select box or textarea. Just give me some ideas and commands.

Hi Adam,

I am having to experiment with this very thing. My draft solution has the
browser doing this little dance...

<watch forwhat="text wrap">

function copyVal(selObj1, selObj2)
{	if(ie4up){
		var newOpt = document.createElement("OPTION");
		newOpt.text = selObj1.options[selObj1.selectedIndex].text;
		newOpt.value = selObj1.options[selObj1.selectedIndex].value;
		selObj2.options.add(newOpt, selObj1.selectedIndex);
	}
	if(nn4up){
		selObj2.options[selObj2.length] = new Option(selObj1.text,
selObj1.value, false, false);
		//meaning new Option(Option Text, Option Value, default?,
selected?)
}

<select name="select" size="12" onclick="copyVal(select, select2)">
  <option value="red">red</option>
  <option value="ora">ora</option>
  <option value="yel">yel</option>
  <option value="grn">grn</option>
  <option value="blu">blu</option>
  <option value="idg">idg</option>
  <option value="vlt">vlt</option>
</select>
<select name="select2" size="12">
</select>

</watch>

<rory disposition="too tired from watching Finding Forrester last night, but
happy!" alt="|)"/>