[thelist] issue with templates in dreamweaver

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Mon Jul 9 14:33:12 CDT 2001

I spent a few hours this past weekend working with this same dilemma, and
found the only way to fix it was to update my templated pages automatically,
then go back into each page that was updated and fix the links manually as
described by Chris below.

When you use Dreamweaver to set your links to "Relative to Document" in a
.dwt template, Dreamweaver updates the pages linked to that template to
"/templates/*.*"

For example, in your template you specify that you want to link to
"index.html", not "/index.html" or "../index.html", and everything looks
great in the template. But then when you run the updater, it updates the
templated pages to link to "/templates/index.html". Not sure why.

I can't set it to "/index.html", since I have several sites that I work on,
and my web server finds the site root at one level above all of the
directories I am working in. However, to make it work when it's live, it
must be site root relative.

Very annoying, especially since the idea behind templates is to reduce
updating time on multiple pages. There must be some way around this.

BH