[thelist] TLD Zone File - Who is whois?

Josh Spiegel joshsquared at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 10:01:53 CDT 2001

Hi,

I have recently gained access to the TLD zone file that Verisign has.  The
TLD zone files
contain a list of the currently registered .com/.net/.org domains. The file
for the .com names is 2.3 gigs when decompressed.

When I applied for access to this file I was hoping that it would contain
information similar to the information that comes in a whois search.

My question is, how do I create my own whois search.  Is there a way to do
this without indirectly using internics search box???

Who holds all the whois data? Is it split up between all the registrars or
is it in one central datasource?

Thanks,
Josh