[thelist] Help with layers in NN 4.6

Brian King BKing at Impact-Technologies.com
Tue Jul 10 15:57:40 CDT 2001

I am sure that I will stir up a bee's nest here but...
What the heck are you doing catering your site to NN products any more?
Depending on what survey you chose to follow, NN users are now hold a
whooping 5-10% percent of the total page hits on the web.  That is down
quite a bit from last year and is still steadily falling.  That is about the
same percentage as the number of Blind users, (not kidding you here).  Are
you making sure that your pages are properly translated by brail readers?
Maybe you should consider switching allegiances form NN to a brail
translator.  I think you would find your audience would be larger.

Brian W. King

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org]On
Behalf Of Erika Chang
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 6:23 AM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] Help with layers in NN 4.6

>for example in if you go to http://devel.bluetruck.net/about.php  the first
>2 links for vision and people work fine. however the location and
employment
>layers display at the bottom of the page and do not function with the
links.

Seem to be two problems:

1) Using reserved word "location" as class name and id. This confuses the
browser -- is it location as in url of current page or is it your layer
named "location"
=> rename "location" layer, eg cLocation

2) Style specification in the content of the layer before the 2 problem
layers (ie "people" layer) seem to be preventing NS from recognizing the
subsequent layers as layers. Try testing document.layers.length at the end
of the page and you'd get 3 rather than 5.
=> remove style attribute from the "people" layer's content P & DIV tags and
put it in the stylesheet instead, e.g.
.people P {margin-left:10pt; font-size:10pt;}
.people DIV {font-size:7pt;}

Erika