[thelist] frames in different browsers-help!

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 10 16:00:10 CDT 2001

> From: Rachel Starr <rachelistarr at home.com>
>
> I'm building a page using frames.  The design of the page requires
> that the frames line up as precisely as possible.
>
> Please go to:
> http://www.pinkcandyproductions.com/frames/frameset6.html

cool, it's kind of like a little PowerPoint presentation trying to hide
on a snowbank...

or better yet, on my 640-wide display, i could never see all the
content... so it *is* hiding...

> Looks fine in IE on mac and pc.  The frames do not resize when the
> browser window is resized.

i'd reconsider that... of course, i'd reconsider the frames to begin
with...

> In NN (4+) on the mac, it looks terrible. The middle row (coloured
[...]
> In NN4+ on PC, it looks slightly better,  the blue box is aligned with
[...]

NN browsers do not do things the same way as the IE browsers...
NN introduces extra spacing into the frames... you need to make
sure you've made every effort to kill all edges, borders, margins,
and white space... after that, you need to forget about pixel-precise
alignment cross-browser...

> Is this a futile process?  Should I code a different page for
> netscape? Have I made a really stupid mistake?  Does anyone have a
> framelayout code or know a site that works in both major browsers that
> has: -centered  page in browser window -3 rows -middle row has 3
> columns

erm, well, the whole framed approach is questionable... i see
nothing in the design that would absolutely require frames, unless
you think the web is PowerPoint and we all have the same display
specs...

oh, wait, i'll let someone else (ok, me) rant about frames...
http://evolt.org/article/Some_Caveats_with_Using_Frames/22/293/in
dex.html