[thelist] fixing urls in dreamweaver templates

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Tue Jul 10 16:16:24 CDT 2001

>> In case this is "What are ways to get fouled with paths to dependent files
>> in template masters?" (or something like that ;-), then try searching the
>> Macromedia Dreamweaver Technotes with term "template path"...
>> this calls up the top articles on the subject.
>
> What I'd like is to keep the URL "myfile.cgi" whereever I create my new
> page from the template. In case I put "myfile.cgi" in the template, then
> each page I create will have the url pointing to the folder of my template:
> "Templates/myfile.cgi" or "../Templates/myfile.cgi" or
>"../../Templates/myfile.cgi"

I'm sorry, I'm not confident I have an unambiguous picture from that
painting either, because "the URL" could be an HREF link, could be an
included file, could be something else, either in or out of the site, in
either editable or locked region... not sure I can accurately put the
pieces together to get the exact goal.

Because you mention "Template/myfile.cgi" it sounds like your template
master may have some type of dependent file in the local copy of the site,
and dependent files in template masters are indeed referenced site-relative
rather than document-relative because template instances can be created
anywhere in the site. (ie, if the app can't predict where that local
address will be used, then it will use a site-relative address which can be
resolved from any instance location anywhere in the local site directory.)

If I'm in the same direction as this description, then the technotes
referenced above do talk about this subject better than I could here. I
might be barking up the wrong tree here though, and may be on a different
subject entirely... :(

jd