[thelist] Cold Fusion Column Formatting

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Tue Jul 10 17:40:39 CDT 2001

robin,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Robin Hastings
:
: BTW, is UrlEncode/Decode necessary with
: CF 4.5? I thought it was, but it appears
: to encode/decode all on it's own, so I
: left it out of this app.  Perhaps the
: encoding is happening just with my version
: of IE 5.5? If it isn't working for others,
: I'll get on adding the functions pronto!
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

you should encode any strings that you'll be using in the url to make sure
that non-alphanumeric characters are properly escaped.  you don't have to
decode them afterwards though -- the cf server takes care of that for you
(fwiw, i erroneously posted a while back that you had to decode them).

what you're experiencing right now is ie automatically trying to encode any
url that isn't a valid url.  however, most browsers won't do this for you
and will instead break on your unescaped spaces and other characters.

try pasting the line below into internet explorer and see what it does for
you:

http://www.evolt.org/javascript return
(don't forget the space and the word "return")

you'll notice that when you press the enter key it automatically converts it
to this:

http://www.evolt.org/javascript%20return

that's a function of the browser and should not be used in standard urls.

good luck,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org