[thelist] fixing urls in dreamweaver templates

Damien Cola damien.cola at synaptique.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 06:39:31 CDT 2001

John, the problem is simple enough and I read the technotes from the search
you mentionned.
They explain how templates work with URLs, which is good and as I undertsand
it.

The problem is that:

> I'm sorry, I'm not confident I have an unambiguous picture from that
> painting either, because "the URL" could be an HREF link, could be an
> included file, could be something else, either in or out of the site, in
> either editable or locked region... not sure I can accurately put the
> pieces together to get the exact goal.

a plain example:

that's what I want in ANY page I create from the template, WHEREEVER I
create them in the site structure:
"myfile.htm" can exist in the same folder of the newly created page or not
exist, that should not matter.
--
ok, now you have the goal, how do I do that in dreamweaver?

The way I worked it out is:

in my template I set (disregard the syntax):
<-- begin editable zone "menu1"> <a href="myfile.htm"> <-- end editable
zone>

so, when I create a new page from that template I have:
<-- begin editable zone "menu1"> <a href="A relative
path/Templates/myfile.htm"> <-- end editable zone>

Then I edit the new page and transform it in
<-- begin editable zone "menu1"> <a href="myfile.htm"> <-- end editable
zone>

and I won!
I can now change my template, it will update all pages, but will not
overwrite this url with  "A relative path/Templates/myfile.htm". because it
is an editable zone.

However, I loose the advantages of the template if I want say to have <a
href="myfile2.htm"> instead of <a href="myfile.htm"> in all the page created
from that template.
And I have to edit by hand each newly page created, in order to set the url
as I want it.

--
So now you've a pretty good picture of the problem, I was hoping for an
answer like:

But it seems there isn't such a feature yet.
Or is there?

Thank you for your interest.

Damien COLA - Synaptique
Synaptique (UK) Ltd.