[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

Sølve Horrigmoe solveho at stud.ntnu.no
Wed Jul 11 09:02:52 CDT 2001

I see your point.

Generally, as a web designer working after a specification, you shouldn't really
care about these concerns. But if you in any way work as a consultant and you
are in a position where you can advise or influence your client, then there is a
case for keeping it off the bleeding edge of eye candy coding - at least for the
sake of accessibility.

In the end, the guy who pays makes the call, but as a consultant it is often
your job to make sure it isn't a stupid decision.

When it comes to marketing, making sure you don't alienate a large group of
potential customers is actually more important than having a campaign/ site /
whatever that really hits the tech-savvy elite -- the point-something-percent of
your potential market. This is in general. If you, however, are marketing a
piece of software that only this elite (using the latest IE browser) would
purchase, then you should go with the eye candy ... unless you would like to try
to convert some of the others to switch to IE because of your product.

-Sølve