[thelist] Email Newsletter Graphics

Hershel Robinson hershelsr at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 09:04:19 CDT 2001

> .djc. wrote:

> I recently had the experience of working on an html email newsletter
> myself.. As far as graphics are concerened, always link to them from the
> server. In the HTML that you're sending out, be sure to include the full
> URL to the images you're showing in your newsletter.. That way, the
> content will display for the user while the images are downloading off
> your server..

I am also working on a project involving emailing graphics.  Why do you
recommend to link the images to the server?  I can think of two reasons not
to:

1 Reduce number of hits on the server.  (OK, this may not be a big concern,
but if there is a lot of mail going out...)

2 What if the user is viewing his mail offline?  Many users make a point of
downloading their mail, hanging up the modem to conserve their monthly ISP
allotment (or to make a phone call!), and then reading the mail and
composing replies offline.

I can think of one reason why it is better to link to the server: It's a lot
easier!  I tried to write MIME code to include a graphic file and after a
few hours of no success, I gave it up for the time being.  I am still
considering going back and trying to make it work.  Unless, of course,
someone can convince me that linking to the server is actually better.

Thanks,
Hershel