[thelist] Cold Fusion Column Formatting

Robin Hastings robin at rhastings.net
Wed Jul 11 09:26:43 CDT 2001

.jeff said:

> you should encode any strings that you'll be using in the url to make sure
> that non-alphanumeric characters are properly escaped.  you don't have to
> decode them afterwards though -- the cf server takes care of that for you
> (fwiw, i erroneously posted a while back that you had to decode them).
>
> what you're experiencing right now is ie automatically trying to
> encode any
> url that isn't a valid url.  however, most browsers won't do this for you
> and will instead break on your unescaped spaces and other characters.

Thanks .jeff - I was wondering if my preferred browser was doing this -
heaven save us from idiot-proof browers!! I'll make sure I get it added
while I'm rearranging my rows. Thanks!!

<tip type="web graphics" author="Robin Hastings">
For those of you struggling with the price of photoshop, try downloading a
copy of The Gimp (http://www.gimp.org). It's open source, vastly capable,
and very well supported by an extremely nice group of users! One of the best
gimp manuals around, _Grokking The Gimp_ is also available online at
http://gimp-savvy.com/. </tip>

Robin Hastings
Webmistress - InterTec Designs
robin at intertecdesigns.com