[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Wed Jul 11 10:11:04 CDT 2001

> i've worked with marketing departments too, and in my humble opinion, they
> just don't get it

We DO get it. We know better than anyone what the customer wants because we’
re the ones who are in touch with market data, focus groups, sales reports,
and above all, the customers themselves.

I spent my entire professional life (not that I'm an old guy - only 12 yrs)
in the marketing department, making decisions about what will float and what
will sink when it "hits the papers”.

This point makes it even more important to build the right site for the job.
Know your client, and know your clients audience. Listen to your client.
When they want something done and you know it can’t be done right on a
browser used by many of their customers, let them know. They will be the
first ones to stop and listen when you say, “I’ll build it, but once your
customer’s machine crashes, they’ll never spend another penny with your
company ever again.”

Trust me. As a retired (albeit, early retired) marketer, I would want to
know what will make my visitors come and stay and come back again. I want to
know what’s possible. Give me the moon, but make it shine right. If it doesn
’t, I’ll get someone else to do the job next time.

Now I’ll go back to being a web guy, thanks. I hated marketing.

BH

<tip>
When you’re not sure how to satisfy your client’s marketing goals, remember
this:
The American Marketing Association’s definition of marketing reads --
‘Marketing is the process of planning and executing the conception, pricing,
promotion, and distribution of ideas, goods, and services to create
exchanges that satisfy individual and organizational objectives.’
</tip>