[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

A. Erickson amanda at gawow.com
Wed Jul 11 10:45:38 CDT 2001

> > i've worked with marketing departments too, and in my humble
> opinion, they
> > just don't get it
>
> We DO get it. We know better than anyone

Okay... see, here is where I disagree with you. You know it better than
anyone? Okay, I hate to say "you" here because you sound like you're on the
ball and maybe not the pushy and clueless marketing type that I've dealt
with in the past but that attitude is very frustrating in cases where you
*don't* know it.

> what the customer wants
> because we’
> re the ones who are in touch with market data, focus groups,
> sales reports,
> and above all, the customers themselves.

This is true. However, how does that relate to the web? Do you know what the
customer wants *on the web*? And do you know the consequences of what your
customer wants? Building a website is all about decisions and compromises
and scenarios. My experience with *some* people in marketing in the past has
been an "I don't care -- just do it" attitude. I think you get burned by
that once or twice and it's hard to forget.

> This point makes it even more important to build the right site
> for the job.
> Know your client, and know your clients audience. Listen to your client.
> When they want something done and you know it can’t be done right on a
> browser used by many of their customers, let them know.

Definitely.

> They will be the
> first ones to stop and listen when you say, “I’ll build it, but once your
> customer’s machine crashes, they’ll never spend another penny with your
> company ever again.”

:D Well, I think that you would stop and listen and maybe half the marketing
people I've dealt with would stop and listen but it's the other half that
hurts.

> Now I’ll go back to being a web guy, thanks. I hated marketing.

LOL! There's a good story in there, I can tell.

- amanda