[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

Brian King BKing at Impact-Technologies.com
Wed Jul 11 14:51:35 CDT 2001

Dear Martin,
	You sincerely strike me as on of those, "I don't have it so no one else
can", type of people.  I hope your life gets better soon.  I truly feel for
you.

>only upgrading it following a thorough cost/benefit review.
Let's see you sit in a corporate meeting and quantify efficiency gains due
to an upgrade. Pretty tough to do, especially in the face of people who only
want to talk about real dollars and examples of those who have already done
it before.  Immediately places you in a position of sloppy seconds.

>reducing the budgets for;
* Ongoing tech support
One real reason E-commerce sites fail, ex. Etoys etc. .  No or lack of
consumer support or response to consumer problems is cited as a major factor
consumers refuse to do business with online companies.

>If you're working on a site with a tight
>business case, losing 10% of your users without good reason could
>be the difference between substantial profit or loss.
My point exactly.  Catering to cross platforming instead of audience can
cost you business.  Problem is, being the geeky single focused developer you
are, you can't see that there are other factors that drive people to buy
things other than the spoken and written word.  Some of the most successful
TV commercials recently have had absolutely no sound.  Proven to get people
to look up from what they were doing to see what was going on with the TV.
AND The flash isn't the reason people don't return, it's because companies
leave the same flash on their site week after week.  I don't want to see
that same thing over and over either, (text or flash).

>The most effective sites targeting teenage
>and young adult consumers know damn well that the audience sees
>right through 'flashy'.
Tell that to your psychiatrist.  He will laugh in your face. Everyone is
attracted to shiny objects.  That's why sportcars cost more than family
sedans.  Save it for your interview with one of the Billion dollar a year
gaming industry segments.  Express that argument with the Special effects
departments in the motion pictures industry.  Sure the flash is dieing.
That's why the last Star Wars movie was a Prequel and not a Sequel.. That
way they didn't need all the computer hardware to render the scenes, right?

>So why would I hire you? How would you add value to my proposition?
>What's the evidence that not coding for older technology helps my
>bottom line, rather than supporting your work-aversion?
Trust me, with your vision of Technology and IT, I wouldn't grace your
presence with my resume.  I would much rather work for someone like
Industrial Sound and Light, who I am sure would entertain you as a possible
candidate for their janitorial staff, (while we are exchanging
brutalities)).

Brian W. King