[thelist] Smart DB Development (request)

Tyme nopun at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 11 16:22:55 CDT 2001

A plea to all Database Developers:

Please design your data entry forms for what is _legal_, not what is simply
most popular.  Do not restrict the name fields to alpha characters only or
do not require both (/all) to be filled.

<tip>
SUGGESTION:
Restrict the name fields to all alpha characters, but allow a hyphen as
well.
This will benefit 2 groups of people, even if but a small segment of the
population:

1.  Those with only 1 name.
        Allows us to enter a hyphen for a field that is not applicable.
        (No, "n/a" is not acceptable -- see rant2 below.)
2.  Will accommodate people who have a hyphenated name.
</tip>

Developers unite!  Develop a standard and stick to it.
(Please distribute to all of your programming friends -- especially those in
credit card companies, credit bureaus, etc.)

<rant>
- Don't preach assessability unless you really mean it!
- And, for those of you still designing a site to work for that 1 poor sap
using NN2, because he/she _might_ buy something from your site.  Get with
it!  Perhaps, I can't buy something from your site, and I am using the
latest technology across the board.  Takes a lot less time and effort to
accommodate my group.  [PayPal, you have been warned.]
</rant>

<rant2>
- No, entering "n/a" just won't do.  I (as well as others) should be allowed
to be known everywhere by my legal name.
- I'm tired of receiving mail, email, and phone calls for: "Tyme Tyme", "XXX
Tyme", "T Tyme", "Ty Me" (okay, that one is sorta fun), and other bogus
crap.
- I'm tired of not having a credit report because of short-sighted database
developers.
- And, no, I won't change my name to conform.
</rant2>

Have a nice day! :-)

 From the ridiculous to the sublime,

Tyme
(that's right, just "Tyme")

P.S. -- You still reading this???? ...Kudos to my buddy on WDVLTalk, who
learned from my example so long ago.