[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

Mark Cheng mark.cheng at ranger.com.au
Thu Jul 12 01:23:05 CDT 2001

>[mailto:thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org]On Behalf Of aardvark
>
>> From: "Keith" <cache at dowebs.com>
>>
>> Good point, tell Tom Edison, Al Bell, and Tim Berners-Lee they
>> were idiots for "creating an item and then having  to teach people how
>> to use it".  Shame on them for thinking thoughts that everyone has
>
>the phone was brand new... what's so new about your site?
>hypertext was brand new, are you not using it?  the light bulb?  is
>your site navigation and content *that* revolutionary that you would
>compare it to a light bulb?

What about the DOM?  From my brief flirt with the DOM it appears that having
it makes it a hell of a lot easier to build user customisable pages.  Eg
sorting lists/columns etc.  If a web designer is going to present an
objective view, surely they need to present an overview of the things you
can't do if you cater for older browsers.  Also, DOM manipulation can easily
be done client side, taking the load off the client server.

As a couple of people have said, a web designers job is to educate, and
provide objective views.  Well, do that.  Tell clients that you can have a
client side page sort, reshuffle layout, whatever, if they are willing to go
with the Gen 5.

>no, it's a *web* page, and people have certain expectations, certain
>usability rules still apply, and old-school marketing tactics about
>customer loyalty still rule...

Change useability to accessability and I agree with you.

>don't insult 'em, don't kick 'em out, and keep 'em happy...

If you are referring to clients - I agree.  Potential clients (users) are a
dime a dozen.  Everyone is a potential client and while most business would
love to have everyone as a client, most couldn't handle more than say,
500,000 actual clients.

This email may be confidential and contain commercially sensitive information.  Only the intended recipient may access or use it.  If you are not the intended recipient please delete this email and notify us promptly.
We use virus scanning software but exclude all liability for viruses or similar in this email or any attachment.