[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

Mark Cheng mark.cheng at ranger.com.au
Thu Jul 12 02:05:37 CDT 2001

:) ok, you got me.  I overly emphasised. (But you know what I meant)

>either way, yes, you can do that, and in *applications* and the like
>it's great... but again, we started by talking about transactional e-
>comm sites...
>
>are you doing all that DOM manipulation to have a user go from
>your product page to an order receipt, leaving their cc info along the
>way?  why not?  probably because it isn't *necessary*... so if you
>don't need that, then why *can't* that e-commerce piece work for
>all browsers?

What about being able to sort a list of previous orders by date? amount?
product? purchaser?  all client side.  Serve up the data in a table and let
the user machine worry about sorting.

I have over a page of past orders which I can see in one of the estores -
being able to sort that would be useful for me.  For business using ecom it
would probably be very useful - they'd have more orders.

>> As a couple of people have said, a web designers job is to educate,
>> and provide objective views.  Well, do that.  Tell clients that you
>> can have a client side page sort, reshuffle layout, whatever, if they
>> are willing to go with the Gen 5.
>
>even if they don't need it?  again, keep in mind the context, it's not
>necessary for a cart... for an overall site, sure, but usually those
>'features' are just eye-candy and don't add too much to the
>function... if it's truly an online app, then you're talking
>intra/extranet, where you actually have some control over your
>users...

You always have to take context into account.  However, even for a cart it
could be useful - eg companies buying stationary over the web.  They may not
buy just one page of items.

As always, context is key.

>> >no, it's a *web* page, and people have certain expectations, certain
>> >usability rules still apply, and old-school marketing tactics about
>> >customer loyalty still rule...
>>
>> Change useability to accessability and I agree with you.
>
>you should agree with it as usability, too... why wouldn't Fitt's Law
>apply on a web page?  well, it does...

Fitt's Law??  (sorry I'm new to this and in Oz)

>> >don't insult 'em, don't kick 'em out, and keep 'em happy...
>>
>> If you are referring to clients - I agree.  Potential clients (users)
>> are a dime a dozen.  Everyone is a potential client and while most
>> business would love to have everyone as a client, most couldn't handle
>> more than say, 500,000 actual clients.
>
>if you feel every user/customer at a site is a dime a dozen, they
>will sense it and feel undervalued... customers are good at finding
>sites that act like they appreciate their time/business/patronage...
>again, old-world marketing still applies...

Whoa,  I was trying to draw a distinction between customers and users.
There are millions of users, but only a few customers.  Design for the bulk
of your customers.

PS  the comments to the disclaimer crack me up! LOL

This email may be confidential and contain commercially sensitive information.  Only the intended recipient may access or use it.  If you are not the intended recipient please delete this email and notify us promptly.
We use virus scanning software but exclude all liability for viruses or similar in this email or any attachment.