[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 12 02:20:50 CDT 2001

> From: "Mark Cheng" <mark.cheng at ranger.com.au>
[...]
> What about being able to sort a list of previous orders by date?
> amount? product? purchaser?  all client side.  Serve up the data in a
> table and let the user machine worry about sorting.

on a consumer site, i don't agree... too much work for the client,
and old machines can choke on the JS... let's not forget the
corporate environments where JS is disabled...

i'd always rather rely on the server for the kind of stuff, offering up a
client-side solution only when i have control over the browser...

[...]
> Fitt's Law??  (sorry I'm new to this and in Oz)

yeah, an oldie but goodie...

short answer:
http://www.usabilityfirst.com/glossary/main.cgi?function=display_ter
m&term_id=265

this one is really interesting:
A Quiz Designed to Give You Fitts
http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html

> >if you feel every user/customer at a site is a dime a dozen, they
> >will sense it and feel undervalued... customers are good at finding
> >sites that act like they appreciate their time/business/patronage...
> >again, old-world marketing still applies...
>
> Whoa,  I was trying to draw a distinction between customers and users.
> There are millions of users, but only a few customers.  Design for the
> bulk of your customers.

ok, i see what you mean...

> PS  the comments to the disclaimer crack me up! LOL

was starting to think no one was seeing them...

> This email may be confidential and contain commercially sensitive
> information.  Only the intended recipient may access or use it.  If
> you are not the intended recipient please delete this email and notify
> us promptly. We use virus scanning software but exclude all liability
> for viruses or similar in this email or any attachment.

are you looking at me?