[thelist] RFI -- CommunityExplorer

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Thu Jul 12 10:11:45 CDT 2001

Been asked to work on something which may end up on CommunityExplorer.com,
and I'm wondering if anyone out there has heard of this place, or has any
experience with them. I note from their "privacy policy that any email
address you enter is liable to be sold. The precise text is:

"Community Explorer collects your information in order to record and
support your participation in the activities you select. The information
you provide is also used as part of our effort to keep you informed about
product upgrades, special offers, and other products and services of
Community Explorer and selected third parties."

What I a draw from that is, if I sign up, whatever email account I specify
*will* get spammed. What I'm wondering is how often and how much.
Basically, I'm trying to decide if this is worth the hassle. It's pro bono
work for a hobby group. I've no problem doing the work itself; I'm just
trying to gauge the level of hassle this particular side-effect is going to
cause me. If it's too high, I can advise the group against using this
place, and take the work to another site; they just wanted to be here
because their national organization signed up with them. There's no
requirement on the part of the national for any of their local affiliates
to use this service.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224