[thelist] email subdomains

Gary Pupurs garyp at speakeasy.net
Thu Jul 12 12:15:45 CDT 2001

> Any Recomendations as to good mail servers for NT?  Thanks

I recently did this search, so I'll chime in here.

Are you on a budget or need a free/inexpensive solution?  It's crazy, but
most NT solutions are very expensive, even though it's not too difficult to
write a server app to suppose a hundred or so users, the protocols are
pretty straightforward. I ended up looking for free/almost free solution for
a server that is for personal/non-profit use to replace a Linux box. (Yes,
start throwing the tomatoes and stuffed penguins now!)

I went with Mercury Mail. If free is good, Mercury Mail is a popular choice,
has a listserver, SMTP/POP/IMAP/PH/FINGER clients built in and it's only
about 1.5MB!   It's from the people who make Pegasus Mail.  I've just
installed it two days ago, so I can't give my experiences yet, but it looks
good so far. It's a freeware download, but if you want more than help files,
though, the full printed manual and tech support is $150 (or more). A good
way to price it, if you ask me. I might consider buying the manual later to
take advantage of some of the 'hooks' that lets you interface to other
programs. http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_mercury.htm

Also, the official version is 3.21c, but the 3.30 version is in beta and
available at http://risc.ua.edu/pegasus-previews/m32-330.exe.  This version
adds the IMAP server and fixes bugs in the listserver.  People on the
support lists have said the beta is stable enough for production, but as
usual, YMMV.

A lot of commercial providers use or offer IMail, but it's pricy at $995+.
http://www.ipswitch.com/Products/IMail_Server/

Post.Office is another, but I've heard they're not focusing much time on it
anymore (partly given away by 'legacy' in the product URL, eh?). $495 to
$995.
http://www.openwave.com/products/legacy/post_office/index.html

I've run across several other freebie mail servers, some with source code,
but I've got the list at home.  If anyone is interested, let me know and
I'll post to the list some URLs.

HTH,
Gary