[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Thu Jul 12 20:00:02 CDT 2001

> Example:
> I run a hotel. It costs me $8k a week to run that hotel, full or empty.
> I have 100 beds, each charged out at $100 a night. When I sell
> 80% of my weekly capacity, I make $8k. I break even. I only make
> a profit when I sell over that.
>
> Now if you've artificially limited my maximum sales to 80%, I'm
> screwed.

I think that Mark's argument is that it is a valid choice to artificially
limit maximum sales to 80% of the audience (in the example of a hotel, it
might be by not having ramps for users of wheelchairs - probably illegal for
a hotel, but not illegal for commercial web sites in most countries),
because you can:

 - lower development costs (by not serving the other 20%)
 - in many cases close a higher number of sales
 - potentially charge more for a more advanced service

You would well know the common cases of banks not bothering to support
internet banking on macs or linux because often it means delaying roll-out
for weeks and losing customers.

isaac

(08)83320545 | www.triplezero.com.au | isaac at triplezero.com.au