[thelist] Old Browsers old Software, cut bait and move on.

Mark Cheng mark.cheng at ranger.com.au
Thu Jul 12 20:51:27 CDT 2001

No I haven't.  I've been saying all along, design to the target audience.

>Until you have rock solid stats that tell me what the split is (and many
>consumers will have multiple responses because they use a home machine
>and a work one which will probably have different capabilities), I'm going
>to assume that the split for a proposition is the same as the general web
>population.
>
>This lowers risk... A Good Thing.

Not for a business whose customer profile doesn't fit your assumption.  My
point is - don't assume your target audience unless you really have to, and
even then let the business make the assumption.  Inform them, but don't tell
them.

>My assumptions are:
>1) An average sample for any proposition will produce browser stats not
>   significantly different to the web using universe unless hard evidence
>is
>   produced to the contrary for a specific proposition

well, you've covered the bases there.  What about if you are designing a
website for a library, or a school?  still going to apply your average or do
you have hard evidence to the contrary.  I'm sticking to my position.  Get
the client to tell you what the split is.  It will at least be a good
learning experience for them.

>2) Cutting out users on the basis of their technical platform alone will
>affect
>    potential customers and non-customers alike

True, but as a business I'm not interested in potential non customers.  In
fact, I'm going to ignore them completely.  I'm only going to spend money on
potential customers, and even then I'm going to try and get the best result
for every buck I spend.

>3) Cutting 20% of potential users will also cut 20% of potential customers

True. Not customers, but potential customers.

>oh and
>4) Catering for those extra customers isn't a lot of work

False, in certain situations.  Design a flash only site which I can see
without flash, but which  is equally likely to convert me to being a
customer as the flash site.

True: design a flash only site which I can see key content without flash,
but is less likely to convert me to being a customer than the flash site.

This email may be confidential and contain commercially sensitive information.  Only the intended recipient may access or use it.  If you are not the intended recipient please delete this email and notify us promptly.
We use virus scanning software but exclude all liability for viruses or similar in this email or any attachment.