[thelist] AOl proxy cache

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Fri Jul 13 10:13:41 CDT 2001

I get a sudden flood of traffic daily from AOL cache servers. All at once,
they're on me like flies on ... chocolate.

So I don't want to see AOL cache proxy servers in my stats anymore, because
they are skewing my traffic reports.

So I start the process of filtering domains by "*.proxy.aol.com". WRONG.

I suddenly realize that if I do that, I'll get NO reports on visits from AOL
at all. Then I realize that the AOL proxy servers are giving me one page
view every time they cache an address in my site, and that when AOL users
visit, I get only one page view for every [however many] AOL users get on -
for all I know it could be millions (although I doubt it).

How are others out there dealing with this when it comes to traffic reports?
As a non-prof. we don't use the reports so much for marketing purposes, but
rather to track usage patterns, etc. So I really just want to know for the
sake of building a better site.

Any ideas?