[thelist] Smart Tags - No, not really...

Jay Turley jay at weberrific.org
Fri Jul 13 10:24:36 CDT 2001

All-

Just downloaded, tried, and then uninstalled comet cursor 3.4. It's come a
long way since it's inception, but the one feature that I couldn't stand
was it's *unmentioned* implementation of contextual links that are very
similar to the smart tags that Microsoft was chucking about a month or so
ago.

I must say, it's very disconcerting to be reading a blog entry that
says "Now I have to find a job", and have the words "find a job" linked to
monster.com or some such site. In addition, for the most part, the keywords
were only searched for, and not taken in context. For instance, after
performing a search on mp3.com, the results page had an HTML link to
cdnow.com labeled buy now, and the buy now linked to some completely
unrelated shopping site.

The worst part is that it is not mentioned as being part of the download,
and so it is completely invasive. At least with the proposed smart tags
implementation, it is supposedly modifiable to some degree.

</rant>

<tip>
jjg.net has a great set of site flow stencils for visio, and a document
that explains their use. wonderful resource.
</tip>

  http://www.weberrific.org
 "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology"