[thelist] AOl proxy cache

Seb seb at members.evolt.org
Fri Jul 13 10:34:37 CDT 2001

> I get a sudden flood of traffic daily from AOL cache servers. All at once,
> they're on me like flies on ... chocolate.

> visit, I get only one page view for every [however many] AOL users get
on -
> for all I know it could be millions (although I doubt it).

> How are others out there dealing with this when it comes to traffic
reports?
> As a non-prof. we don't use the reports so much for marketing purposes,
but
> rather to track usage patterns, etc. So I really just want to know for the
> sake of building a better site.

Hi Bill,

You probably want to take a look at AOL's own information, at
http://webmaster.aol.com, which is generally quite comprehensive.

Specifically, cacheing issues are discussed at:
http://webmaster.aol.com/index.cfm?article=12&expand=0&sitenum=2

Generally, you might want to serve up a specific set of headers specifically
for AOL's IP addresses, whereby AOL will not cache your pages and will hit
the server for each visit. You won't get the visitor's unique IP, but you
will get a hit for each visitor.

Good luck.

Seb
http://www.sebpotter.org