[thelist] AOl proxy cache

Pearson, John JOHN.PEARSON at eia.doe.gov
Fri Jul 13 13:28:42 CDT 2001

there's another wrinkle.  I looked at our logs for one of my visits which I could
track because of a unique browser ID and what I looked at.  What I discovered was
that in the log the cache IP seemed to change for every page request, so my one
visit became a dozen IP visits from different aol cache servers.

So you could argue that the caching process balances out the fact that you don't
see all of its users.  Caching may be pretty standard for corporate networks, so
we basically forget about it.  Just another reason why logs are indicative rather
than precise.