[thelist] Webdesigners using DOM?

David Mccreath mccreath at ak.net
Mon Jul 23 12:07:57 CDT 2001

matt wrote:

> How about Flash breaks the browser's built-in navigation
> abiilities (back button, etc.):

[ Just to play devil's advocate for a second ] That's a valid concern,
Matt, but if somebody builds an entire site in Flash and the navigation
*within* the site is well-built and consistent, then the browser's
built-in navigation becomes less of an issue. People can break the back
button with DHTML and plain ole redirects, too. :)

and Chris wrote:

>How about no plug ins needed?  That is the biggest.... No hole in
>your page when the 'flash or shockwave isnt there.'

What about "a non-functional website in older browsers"? Whether you're
pushing the envelope with Flash or DHTML, you're going to have
usability and backward compatibility issues. Let me reiterate that I am
ONLY playing devil's advocate on both of these arguments.

To reply to the original question, I think the best argument *is*
forward compatibility. As the browsers stumble toward standards
compliance and the older versions fade, DHTML will become simpler to
write and will expand beyond its current capabilities.

Sanne, when you say "web designers", what do these people actually do?
Are they graphic designers? Do they know anything about programming?
Convincing non-programmers to learn JavaScript and plumb the depths of
CSS to achieve effects they can get with click-and-drag in Flash is
going to be an uphill battle, and will involve changing the way they
work. Going from Flash to DHTML could require some significant changes
in personnel or that current personnel vastly change their jobs.

One suggestion that I have is pointing them to really good examples of
DHTML. Off the top of my head, one of the best sites to see DHTML in
action is http://www.glish.com/. Eric Costello has done some really
cool stuff. Be sure to look at the eye!

I'm sure thelist can come up with many other fine examples to
demonstrate the capabilities of DHTML.

David