[thelist] turn the cursor into an arrow on an <area> with an href

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Mon Jul 23 15:44:04 CDT 2001

Craig,

> Alternately, I've had sucess with:
>
> AREA { cursor: hand; cursor: pointer }
>
> IE reads the first one and ignores the second, Mozilla and other
> compliant browsers read the second one after ignoring the first.

    You do realize that both browsers will display the hand/pointer cursor
by default when mousing over an area element, right? But if I attempt to
apply your solution to an element that does not display such a cursor by
default, then only Mozilla displays the hand/pointer cursor. This is as
would be expected, since the second declaration supersedes the first. Since
IE does not recognize the second, it simply displays the "auto" cursor. I
tested this in IE 5.01 and IE 5.5 on W2K.
    Another solution that I have found, in addition to the one I provided
earlier, is to nest one span within another, applying cursor: hand to one,
and cursor: pointer to the other, e.g.:

    It doesn't appear to matter in which order they occur, since either way
works in both Mozilla and IE. Obviously, this could be done with an embedded
or an external style sheet, as well. An ugly hack, I agree. But it works,
and this one will validate.

James Aylard